Wednesday 16 January 2013

Enthralled 2


With the thumbnail sketch providing a very rough layout, the next step was for me to sketch out the scene a little better. I liked the idea of the storyteller having a rocky outcrop as a backdrop where the camp fire could cast a dramatic shadow and also have the fire illuminate the faces of the monsters. At this stage I wasn't sure how many monsters to include. They all had to be different, not too scary, but clearly wild things with individual characters. I enjoy the challenge of capturing expression and gesture, so giving the audience a look of involvement and captivation was something I was really looking forward to.
I felt an arc of creatures decreasing in size would work best and four of the beasties dropped into place comfortably. The little fella in the foreground, though just a blob at this stage, was eluding me.

The next stage, however, would sort that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment